How can I cut down on my drinking?
There are lots of ways in which you can drink a little less alcohol and feel the benefits that come with cutting down.
If you want to cut down your drinking try:
- eating something before you have a drink, this will help slow down the absorption of alcohol into your body
- having several alcohol-free days a week
- using smaller glasses or a unit measuring cup, it can be harder to keep track of how much you’re drinking at home
- avoid topping up your glass as this can help keep track of your drinks.
- setting a timescale for each drink to make it last longer
- having a soft drink or water with, or after, each alcoholic drink
- try focusing on your hobbies, interests, and social opportunities that don’t involve alcohol.
You can also get some tips for drinking wisely by watching our video.
Sign up to our newsletter to get tips, advice & support direct to your inbox.