What warning signs do you look out for?
The signs below may indicate a person is drinking alcohol and it is causing them problems. These pointers may also indicate other underlying health problems, so it is important to have a sensitive and supportive discussion with the person you are concerned about.
- Is the person isolating his or herself more?
- Are they declining social invitations?
- Have they stopped doing activities they previously enjoyed?
- Have you observed changes in their home environment?
- Is the person’s appearance becoming more unkempt?
- Are there signs of empty bottles or overflowing bins?
- Or are they trying to conceal alcohol bottles?
- Are they becoming increasingly forgetful?
- Have they had more falls and injuries?
- Has their general demeanour changed?
- Do they appear to be under the influence of alcohol, with indications like smelling of alcohol and slurred speech?
- Are they asking you to buy them alcohol regularly and becoming quite agitated if you refuse?